Faculty Recruitment and Retention Program
The purpose of this program is to provide start-up funds to all new tenured, tenure-track and continuing status faculty to help them establish their research program at the university. The program may also provide funds to existing faculty to assist them to re-activate research programs or in situations where support is needed to retain a faculty member at risk of leaving the university.
The program provides faculty with:
- a grant of up to $30,000 to match college or department support for any research expense for a new faculty member;
- in special cases a grant of up to $30,000 to match college or department support for any research expense for an existing faculty member;
- in special cases funds may be used by the provost or designate to award a small stipend to approved research enhancement chairs or to award a research grant to existing faculty.
Term of the Grant
The term of the award is 5 years from the date of the award; unspent funds cannot be transferred to faculty continuous research funds; unspent funds are to be returned to the sources of the funding on an appropriate basis. Extensions may be granted in special circumstances at the discretion and approval of the provost or designate.
Use of Funds
Funds may be used to offset any research expense, including equipment, supplies, travel, student stipend, etc.
University of Saskatchewan Administration of Research Funds Policy will be used to administer these funds.
Over-expenditure of grants is not permitted. If an over-expenditure occurs, it becomes the personal liability of the recipients. Eligible expenditures will follow the Tri-Agency guidelines posted on the NSERC website.
- Eligible operating expenditures include travel and subsistence costs, material and supplies, employment of research assistants and students, mailing costs, postage and telephone expenses, printing costs, translation costs, etc.
- Eligible capital equipment expenditures include research equipment, computers, modems, other hardware and software required for the research.
Announcement of Awards
Applicants are advised of awards along with the Research Services Office. Funds will only be established once all certificate requirements are met (eg) Biosafety permits, animal care certification and/or human ethics. The funds cannot be established until this information is provided to the Research Services Office.
Spousal/Partner Career Program
The university supports faculty recruitment by providing a spousal/partner career program when you accept a continuing academic appointment at our university. This program provides spouses/partners with professional support in their search for non-academic employment in Saskatoon, whether at the university or elsewhere in the community.
For more information please contact the Office of the Vice-Provost, Faculty Relations.